By Kim Miller, RDH, BSDH
Simply Xylitol is a unique line of sugar-free treats. What makes them unique? They are the most delicious xylitol treats I have ever tasted, and they come in an amazing variety. Dr. John Bruinsma and his wife, Debra, a dental hygienist, founded Dr. John's Candies in 1995.
These yummy treats are made with all-natural colors and flavors and contain birch xylitol sweetener. Since xylitol is safe for use by everyone -- from infants to the elderly -- these sugar-free candies are great for the entire family. In fact, my 21-month-old grandson's first candy ever was a Dr. John's Simply Xylitol tooth-shaped lollipop, and he loved it!
Since xylitol has 40% fewer calories, 75% fewer carbohydrates, and a glycemic index of 7, these candies are also safe for diabetics. As dental professionals know, xylitol can help reduce the risk of tooth decay.
Dr. John's Simply Xylitol all-natural candies come in a wide variety of choices:
- Tablets and gums -- Peppermints and watermelon sours contain .5 grams xylitol each. The peppermint and fruit punch gum contain .9 grams xylitol each.
- Lollipops (oval and tooth shaped) -- 1 gram xylitol each.
- Round hard candies -- .5 grams xylitol each. All-natural flavors and colors, including watermelon, cherry, cherry blossom, mixed fruit, fruit medley, grape, pomegranate, double Dutch fudge, café caramel, butterscotch, strawberry cheesecake, sour lemon, and mango.
- Soft candies -- 1 gram xylitol each. Natural taffy, natural chocolate, and vanilla caramel flavors.
- Chocolate DecaDENTS -- 15 per box, 2 grams xylitol each. Flavors include sea salt caramels (my personal favorite), toffee with almonds, orange with almonds, raspberry, peanut butter, pecan caramel, coconut, and mint. Premium plain dark bars with and without almonds (both containing 5 grams xylitol per bar) are also available.
Most of these candies are available in bags of different amounts ranging up to five pounds. An assortment bag, which includes a variety of the all-natural lollipops, is available along with hard and soft candies.
Dr. John's Simply Xylitol all-natural candies are sugar free with no added sweeteners, gluten free (except for gum), most are kosher and dairy free and made with USA ingredients.
Let me encourage you to visit their website (www.drjohns.com) and browse additional products such as a coffee sweetener, drink mixes, and more, or call (888) 375-6462. You can bet the next time I want to send someone a box of chocolates, they will come from Dr. John's!
Bad breath and dry-mouth solutions
I've recently been introduced to the TheraBreath line of products, and it's my pleasure to pass some of that information along to you. In 1993, Dr. Harold Katz, a dentist and bacteriologist, founded the California Breath Clinics and began his advanced clinical research into the problems of bad breath, dry mouth, and taste disorders. His primary motivating factor was to find something that would help his 13-year-old daughter with her embarrassing halitosis problem.
The cause of the proliferation of anaerobic sulfur-producing bacteria, which lead to bad breath and can cause a sour, bitter, or metallic taste, can vary and include smoking, postnasal drip, tonsil stones (tonsiloliths), dry mouth, bleeding gums, medications, high-protein diets, and hormonal changes. Through his research, Dr. Katz developed an exhaustive line of products that were introduced in 1997 and designed to deal with all of these problems.
TheraBreath is available in several different formulas to meet any bad breath challenge. All of their products come with a guarantee to stop bad breath or your money back.
- TheraBreath Original Formula is available as a toothpaste, throat spray (with extinguisher nozzle, especially for those with tonsils), chewing gum, oral rinse, and lozenges.
- TheraBreath Probiotics consists of a Multi-Symptom ProBiotic Kit with a proprietary blend of beneficial bacteria that help the body defend against the germs that cause cavities, sore throats, earaches, plaque, biofilm, gum disease, and bad breath. Requires nine treatments over seven days.
- TheraBreath Plus Extra Strength Formulas utilize the combined natural powers of OXYD-8 (Dr. Katz's proprietary blend of sodium chlorite, green tea, aloe vera, tea tree oil, and xylitol). Available as a toothpaste, oral rinse, power drops (just a few drops on the back of the tongue), and nasal sinus drops (for postnasal drip and tonsil stones).
In addition, TheraBreath is available in perio-therapy and whitening formulas, as well as an AktivOxigen concentrated serum. TheraBreath products are made with a variety of essential oils such as peppermint and green tea (visit their website for a complete ingredients list). These products are free of SLS, artificial colors, dyes, flavors, detergents, and alcohol. They are safe during pregnancy, for diabetics, and children who can rinse and spit.
TheraBreath products are gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, and kosher. I have found these products to be effective and very pleasant to use with no harsh aftertaste, no burning, and no tissue irritation.
You can purchase TheraBreath products at many popular retailers or from their website. Dr. Katz also offers a free copy, PDF or print version, of his "Bad Breath Bible," which you can obtain by visiting www.therabreath.com or by calling (800) 973-7374.
Here's a quick tip I learned on Dr. Katz's website. To check for bad breath, lick the back of your hand, let it dry for 10 seconds and smell it. If it stinks, so does your breath.
As always, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your product suggestions and comments.
KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH, is the co-founder of PerioFrogz.com, an information-based website providing free current oral-systemic research summaries and patient education downloads. Kim is also a coach with Inspired Hygiene, delivering customized hands-on training. She speaks internationally, writes articles and webinars, and enjoys clinical dental hygiene. Kim lives in Arizona and welcomes you to contact her at email@example.com.
Past RDH Issues