A new version of Soft-Picks: Plus, a review of flossers for kids and oral cancer screening device
Kim Miller, RDH, reviews flossers for kids, as well as an oral cancer screening device.
By Kim Miller, RDH, BSDH
Sunstar GUM introduces Soft-Picks Advanced
I've been a raving fan of GUM Soft-Picks since they first came out. In fact, I use them myself, which makes me even more excited to introduce you to the new Soft-Picks Advanced.
As you can see, these Soft-Picks are gently curved to adapt to the dental arch, making it easier than ever to reach the posterior interproximal surfaces. The improved grip increases comfort and control while allowing the soft comfortable bristles to gently remove plaque and dislodge food, all while massaging the gums. The Soft-Picks Advanced are perfect for patients in ortho with brackets and wires, as well as patients who have implants and/or bridgework.
As always, Soft-Picks Advanced are easy to dispense in convenient patient sample packs. A box of 110 sample packs, two soft-picks per pack, sells for $55.95. Contact your supply rep today and order several boxes of sample packs and get your patients started on "soft picking" for healthier gums.
And don't forget, Soft-Picks are still available in the original and "wider spaces" (25% wider than original) version, both with 76 bristles on each Soft-Picks." Visit gumbrand.com to learn more.
Oral Cancer Screening Device
AdDent introduced an oral cancer biofluorescence screening device earlier this year called Bio/Screen. Intended for use as an adjunct to traditional oral exams, Bio/Screen enhances the visualization of oral mucosal abnormalities with five powerful violet LED lights.
The Bio/Screen demonstrates biofluorescence without turning off the room lights. Powered by an internal rechargeable lithium ion battery, the device has an eyepiece and optical viewing filter that increases contrast between healthy and abnormal tissue without a special pre-rinse. Healthy tissues will appear green, abnormal areas appear dark.
The patient wears safety glasses. However, the operator does not need to wear special glasses, as viewing of the tissues is done through the attached filter.
Additional features include an easy on/off button and a battery charge indicator light located on the viewing side of the handle. The battery pack, which is protected by means of a built-in safety circuit, is rated for 500 full recharge cycles, approximately five years of use.
To view a demonstration, download the brochure and read research references. Please visit addent.com and search for Bio/Screen under the products tab.
Dual Grip Kid's Flossers
Recently, I found myself showing my 4-year old grandson how to floss. We had been snacking on some raw almonds and he got a piece stuck between his teeth. So, of course I sat him up on the bathroom counter, reached for floss, and proceed to explain the principles of flossing. Right then, I realized these Dual Grip Fruit Smoothie Swirl Kid's Flossers by Plackers are the perfect solution for young flossers.
The dual grip handle made the flosser easy for Marshall to use and easy for me to help him. He was attracted to the bright lime green, blue, and orange colors. In fact, he chose the orange one, and bonus, the floss is fruit smoothie flavored and he loved it.
The flossers also have an angled head, which made it easier to reach the back teeth. Plackers' Hi-Tech fluoride infused floss is engineered not to stretch, shred, or break. You can find Plackers' in retail stores nationwide. For more information, visit plackers.com.
LM Dental's sharpen-free instrument
Recently launched at RDH Under One Roof, the new LM ErgoSense Sharp Diamond sharpen-free instrument has all the bells and whistles you want in a hand instrument. According to the manufacturer, features include:
- Proprietary Sharp Diamond coating renders the instrument sharpen-free, which means saving time
- Sharpness allows calculus removal with a shaving technique rather than fracturing technique for improved ergonomics
- Physical vapor deposition (PVD) micro membrane coating technique uses very low temperatures to preserve the integrity of the substrate alloy, making a stronger, harder working edge (63+ on the Rockwell hardness scale) that enhances wear resistance
- Contoured lightweight and ergonomic 13.7 mm handle for clinician comfort
- Reduced pinch grip and need for lateral forces reduce clinician fatigue
The Sharp Diamond instrument will be initially offered in the following nine configurations:
- Mini bladed graceys-1/2, 7/8, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16, 17/18
- Mini universal gracey-combined mesial/distal instrument
- Mini sickle
- Micro sickle
You will also want to check out the LMErgo Flexplorer 11F/12F. This is the ultimate in a flexible explorer with the desired 11/12 angulation for deep reach and calculus detection in deep pockets. The large diameter contoured handle makes this a favorite ergonomic instrument.
LM Dental offers six different handle configurations:
- ES = ErgoSense handle (13.7 mm). Larger diameter and design provide sensational grip that has been proven to be ergonomic and efficient in scientific clinical testing. Uniquely intelligent handle with the option for RFID tagging.
- XSI = ErgoMax handle (11.5 mm). Classic ergonomic design that functions well in all clinical procedures and guarantees excellent tactile sensitivity and relaxed grip.
- SI = ErgoNorm handle (8.5 mm). This is a thinner handle that functions best in light clinical procedures.
- EM = ErgoMix handle (12.5 mm). The exchangeable tips offers all the economical and ecological benefits of retipping, and is available for specific instruments.
- EASI = ErgoAccess handle (11.5 mm curved). A curved LM-ErgoAccess handle provides better access to hard-to-reach areas. Available for specified instruments.
- ESI = ErgoSingle handle (11.5 mm) well balanced mirror handle with better reachability.
Learn more about LM Dental and their line of high-tech ergonomic products at lm-dental.com.
As always, please email me with your favorite dental hygiene tips and tools and send me the name of products you'd like to see featured in this column, email@example.com. RDH
KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH, is the co-founder of PerioFrogz.com, an information-based website providing free current oral-systemic research summaries and patient education downloads. Kim is also a coach with Inspired Hygiene, delivering customized hands-on training. She speaks internationally, writes articles and webinars, and enjoys clinical dental hygiene. Kim lives in Arizona and welcomes you to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.