By KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH
Synedent Oral Rinse
Synedent is a unique oral rinse that contains Chitosan, a natural polysaccharide fiber that comes from shrimp shells. According to the manufacturer, the rinse promotes fresher breath, cleaner teeth, and healthier gums.
According to Wikipedia: "Chitosan has a number of commercial and possible biomedical uses. It can be used in agriculture as a seed treatment and biopesticide, helping plants to fight off fungal infections. In winemaking it can be used as a fining agent, also helping to prevent spoilage. In medicine, it may be useful in bandages to reduce bleeding and as an antibacterial agent; it can also be used to help deliver drugs through the skin. More controversially, chitosan has been asserted to have use in limiting fat absorption, which would make it useful for dieting, but there is evidence against this. Other uses of chitosan that have been researched include use as a soluble dietary fiber."
Formulated by dentists in collaboration with scientists, Synedent is a mouth friendly, non-burning oral rinse that replaces the harsh, drying, unpleasant-tasting, and environmentally unfriendly oral rinses. Synedent is free of alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, chlorhexidine, triclosan, parabens, zinc, and hydrogen peroxide. The ingredients are naturally derived and mouth friendly with a balanced pH that will not harm healthy or damaged oral mucosa.
• Purified water that meets or exceeds regulatory standards required to manufacture an oral care product in the United States. Water serves as the base to dissolve all of the other ingredients.
• Chitosan argininamide (chitosan arginine) is a natural polysaccharide fiber that comes from shrimp shells promoting cleaner teeth and healthier gums. Chitosan is a polymer of glucosamine that is similar in structure to cellulose, another natural polysaccharide that is often referred to as "dietary fiber." Chitosan is used as an agent to aggregate particles out of a solution, replacing detergents.
• Sorbitol, a sugar derivative found in apples and peaches, contributes to the sweet taste of Synedent that is difficult for bacteria to digest, therefore reducing bacterial overgrowth.
• Xylitol helps reduce bacterial growth and provides a natural sweetener but it is dangerous for dogs to consume. Do not give any product containing xylitol to your canine friends.
• Glycerin, a naturally occurring part of many lipids in the plant and animal kingdom, adds to the sweet taste and gives a pleasing moist feeling in the mouth.
• Peppermint oil acts as a breath freshening and flavoring agent.
• Benzoic acid is a natural acid that is found in many fruits, vegetables, and spices, acting as a preservative to prevent growth of bacteria and fungi, and to prevent spoilage.
• Polysorbate 20, which is derived from sorbitol, acts as an emulsifier, thoroughly mixing peppermint oil into the rinse
Synedent is safe for patients 12 years of age and older. The manufacturer's directions indicate swishing with 1-2 teaspoons of Synedent between teeth and throughout the mouth for at least 30 seconds. Do not swallow. This rinse is not intended to replace brushing and flossing.
Synedent is available in 8-ounce bottles in quantities of one, two, or three, or as a six pack. Contact Synedent in Claremont, Calif., at (855) 774-7962, or visit [email protected].
'Gum Chucks' Product Update
Many of you, including me, are huge fans of Gum Chucks. So I know you'll appreciate this update. Gum Chucks has designed and introduced an improved handle. This new unibody handle design came about in response to an inconsistent issue with the current handle. Some users have experienced cracked handles, but don't let this deter you from suggesting Gum Chucks to your patients.
They have identified this concern and come up with a solution. The new handle design is unibody in form and will be available this fall. The issue of cracked handles exists no more.
Gum Chucks has made it possible for previous nonflossers to become dedicated daily flossers. Isn't that one of our goals? Creating daily flossers out of our not so compliant patients?
Gum Chucks makes it easy and fun for kids to become daily flossers too. Even with orthodontic patients, Gum Chucks offers OrthoGami to make flossing easy during ortho treatment, regardless of age. Visit the Gum Chucks website today: gumchucks.com and enter MILLER when you check out to save 15% off your entire purchase.
In the September issue, I wrote about Cocofloss. The lovely ladies from Cocofloss will give you 15% off your order when you type MILLER into the coupon code at checkout. If you haven't tried Cocofloss, order today. My favorite flavor is "coconuts." Let me know how you like it!
As always, email me with your questions and product suggestions, [email protected]. RDH
KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH, is the co-founder of PerioFrogz.com, an information-based website providing free current oral-systemic research summaries and patient education downloads. Kim is also a coach with Inspired Hygiene, delivering customized hands-on training. She speaks internationally, writes articles and webinars, and enjoys clinical dental hygiene. Kim lives in Arizona and welcomes you to contact her at [email protected].