By Kim Miller, RDH, BSDH
Cavitron Touch by Dentsply
Dentsply recently launched their newly designed magnetostrictive 30k power scaler, the Cavitron Touch. Although this unit has a completely new, sophisticated, high-tech look, you can count on the sustained performance scaling (SPS) technology you've come to expect, along with some new bells and whistles.
The compact upright design takes up less counter space, featuring a smooth illuminated touch screen front that allows quick and easy disinfection. With no dials and no buttons, the screen interface allows you to make adjustments with just a touch of your finger. Or, you can take advantage of customizable power settings and memory presets.
The Cavitron Touch also features the new Steri-Mate 360-degree swivel handpiece, with the swivel at the hub (right where you need it) and the water adjustment at the base. The handpiece cord can be disconnected and replaced-plug-and-play style in the event the cord becomes damaged.
In addition, the wireless tap on, tap off rechargeable foot pedal eliminates pumping and allows you to relax your foot and ankle during treatment, which decreases fatigue and improves ergonomics. The foot pedal can even be locked to prevent unintentional use. The unit also has an automatic two-minute purge cycle, which allows you to start the purge and walk away.
As with all Denstply SPS power scaling units, two copper coils inside the handpiece interface specifically with Dentsply inserts to deliver a continuous stroke width for smooth scaling and patient comfort. Remember, your inserts must be checked monthly for efficiency using Dentsply specific guides. Most clinicians don't realize the full impact of tip wear. Did you know that a 1mm loss results in 25% less efficiency and 2mm loss results in 50% less efficiency?1 Therefore, monthly assessment of inserts is a must.
For more information and/or a demo, contact your supply representative. You can also visit cavitronsystems.com to learn more about Cavitron Touch.
Children's book by dental hygiene author
I showed this book to my 4-year-old grandson. Before I could get to the first page of the story, he was intrigued, and asked, "What's wrong with him? What happened to him, Grandma?" Marshall could tell by the cover image that something "bad" had happened to this tooth.
"Well, Marshall," I said, "This is the story of the tooth who took himself for granted!"
Authored by fellow dental hygienist, Rosa Perez, "The Tooth Who Took Himself For Granted" is a delightful tale of a tooth who thought he was too strong to come to harm. With 12 pages of type, one or two sentences per page, and 12 pages of colorful images, this story clearly delivers the message that daily care is what keeps teeth in a healthy state.
You can purchase "The Tooth Who Took Himself For Granted" from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, ebay, and others. This book is also available in Spanish. Marshall loved the story. Let me know how well you like it too.
Introducing Smart Ash
Smart Ash is an all organic natural teeth whitener and detoxifier created by the McLellans, a husband and wife team who were looking for a natural alternative to chemical whitening. After researching and testing dozens of ingredients, they found 100% natural and organic ingredients that not only whiten but also detoxify the teeth.
Smart Ash includes the following ingredients and manufacturer claims:
- Premier pharmaceutical grade calcium bentonite clay carries a negative charge on the surface and edges, which attracts positively charged toxins like millions of tiny magnets, bonding the toxins to the clay. Additionally, the clay adds trace minerals to the saliva to help strengthen and remineralize teeth.
- Wildcrafted activated coconut shell charcoal whitens teeth by pulling out the stains while it polishes; removes toxins and boosts natural immunity.
- Certified organic mint eliminates bad breath, and soothes teeth and gums while simultaneously reversing sensitivity and pain you may be experiencing. It also helps naturally whiten teeth.
- Certified organic orange peel contains an essential oil called d-limonene, which provides extra whitening by removing stains and inhibits the development of future stains. Orange peel has natural cleansing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
- Certified organic maydi frankincense supports oral health, strengthens teeth and gums and has been used to fight bad breath, toothaches, cavities, mouth sores, and more for hundreds of years.
One jar of Smart Ash lasts about six months and is free of hydrogen peroxide, surfactants, fluoride, GMOS and artificial dyes, and coloring. Smart Ash is safe for your entire family and can be used daily. Visit bedrockandbloom.com for more information and to order.
As always, send me name and information on products you would like to see reviewed in this column, [email protected]. RDH
1. Johnson T. Power Instrumentation Considerations, Dimensions of Dental Hyg, April 2014.
KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH, is the co-founder of PerioFrogz.com, an information-based website providing free current oral-systemic research summaries and patient education downloads. Kim is also a coach with Inspired Hygiene, delivering customized hands-on training. She speaks internationally, writes articles and webinars, and enjoys clinical dental hygiene. Kim lives in Arizona and welcomes you to contact her at [email protected].