Learning More About EXXCL Oral Blue
My husband and I have been using EXXCL Oral Blue (EOB) for the last several weeks, and we have been very impressed with it.
By Kim Miller, RDH, BSDH
My husband and I have been using EXXCL Oral Blue (EOB) for the last several weeks, and we have been very impressed with it. It leaves my mouth feeling fresh and clean, and I can actually feel it working. EOB was developed by Lawrence A. Funt, DDS, MSD, and L. Andrew Funt of Biofilm Innovations Group, LLC, in 1998 to provide oral moisture for patients suffering with xerostomia. EOB exceeded their expectations. In addition to providing relief for dry mouth, it controlled and treated periodontal disease and helped maintain healthy gums following periodontal procedures.
EOB products have an antimicrobial effect on all gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens harbored within the biofilm by penetrating the biofilm mass. Because EOB dismantles the biofilm matrix, it detaches the biofilm from any surface, making it the perfect product before and after laser procedures and before and after oral/periodontal surgery. In addition, EOB reduces postoperative swelling and accelerates soft tissue reattachment.
The makers of EOB products claim that in addition to treating periodontal disease, EOB is an excellent way to prevent and virtually eliminate bleeding gums, gingivitis, and tooth decay. EOB products are safe for use with crowns, bridges, veneers, and implants. Several research papers featured on their website that evaluate EOB support these uses. I thought the study on “Combat Wound Disinfection and Healing” was very interesting. I don’t recall seeing an oral health product tested as a topical antiseptic and used for disinfecting wounds on the battlefield.
Purchased in 2010 by DenMat, the makers of LUMINEERS and Snap-On Smile, EOB antibiofilm infection products include:
- EXXCL Oral Blue Oral Irrigant is designed to irrigate the oral cavity, help control periodontitis and gingivitis, and freshen breath. It comes in 4 oz. and 16 oz.
- EXXCL Oral Blue Traveler is the oral irrigant in an easy-to-use 2 oz. spray bottle, and is designed to be used between brushing.
- EXXCL Oral Blue Toothpaste comes in a 4 oz. tube with the same active ingredient as the irrigant. It’s mint flavored and free of sodium laurel sulfate.
- EXXCL Oral Blue Periodontal Appliance is a flexible 2 mm bioplast tray designed to be used with EOB foam and worn overnight.
- EXXCL Oral Blue Foamer is a 2 oz. refillable dispenser that turns the EOB irrigant into foam for antibacterial applications. It can be used with the appliance or delivered directly into the mouth.
The suggested protocols for use at home are very straightforward:
- For gingivitis — Twice a day, brush using a dry toothbrush with EOB toothpaste; then rinse with EOB Oral Irrigant. Rinsing with water after either of these steps is not recommended. Repeat for seven days.
- For more advanced periodontal disease — Follow the steps above, adding the Periodontal Appliance filled with EOB foam and worn overnight. Repeat for 12 to 16 weeks.
- Avoid food or drink for at least 10 minutes following use.
- For oral health maintenance posttreatment and to help prevent recurrence — Use EOB toothpaste and irrigant twice daily as a routine.
EXXCL Oral Blue products are made in the U.S. and have been designated by the FDA as cosmetic products since 1999. The proprietary active ingredient uses nontoxic antimicrobial technology; it is not an antibiotic or oxidizing agent and it’s safe for all ages.
Let me encourage you to visit the EXXCL Oral Blue website. Not only can you view all the products, you can also read the numerous testimonials and research. Go to www.exxcloralblue.com or call DenMat at 800-445-0345 for more information, including pricing.
ULTRACONTROL FLUORIDE FOAM
Last month at RDH UOR, Waterpik introduced their new UltraControl Fluoride Foam. It’s super easy to control, which means you are less likely to overfill the tray, which reduces waste and the risk of patient gagging or ingestion. The foam is gluten free, sweetened with xylitol, and comes in melon, bubblegum, strawberry, or mint flavors. You can order a sample of UltraControl Foam for only $10 for a 4.4 oz can, with a limit of one can per flavor, per office. Contact Waterpik at (800) 525-2020 or www.fluoride.waterpik.com for this offer, which is valid through the end of 2012.
DENTAL411 DENTAL DIRECTORY
You are definitely going to want to check out this new mobile app dental directory, which is free to consumers. You can now list your practice with Dental411 using the latest in innovative global search technology, combined with the power of a mobile app to drive more patients to your practice or business. With more than 25 categories, including registered dental hygienists, dental office managers, and dental consultants, patients and clients can easily find your office by using their smartphones.
Dental411 statistics suggest you might expect 10 times the exposure when incorporating a smart phone app in addition to a website. Take advantage of a free 30-day trial listing, or sign up for a year for as little as $10. Packages range from $10 per year up to $59 per year, with a variety of features well beyond phone number and address. Dental411 also offers a mobile app/web design that allows smartphone users to view your webpage seamlessly on their mobile devices. Be sure to tell your doctor or practice administrator about this, and check it out for yourself at www.dental411.info. RDH.
KIM MILLER, RDH, BSDH, is the co-founder of PerioFrogz.com, which provides current oral-systemic research summaries and patient education downloads. She speaks internationally, provides hands-on training, writes articles and webinars, and practices dental hygiene in Redding, Calif. Contact her at email@example.com
Past RDH Issues