Infection Control Challenge
by Nicole Giesey, RDH, BSDH, MSPTE
1. Type of waste that poses a risk to humans (May be disposed of in a red lined box).
3. This term refers to an area that is free from contamination.
5. This tank holds fluid that enables our instruments to take a bath prior to sterilization to loosen debris.
6. The word used when an object is "dirty" with blood, microorganisms, or bacteria.
12. The spore indicator test should be run through a sterilization machine_______ a week.
14. This greenish color liquid is used as a cold sterilization solution and it is fun to say its name.
17. A container that needles and scalpel blades go in for safe disposal.
18. This instrument can aid in taking off a scalpel blade properly.
20. A procedure that kills all types of spores, bacteria, and microbes from our instruments (hint: an autoclave is sometimes used).
2. A set of procedures performed to prevent disease and the spread of it.
4. These types of products are so nice because they can just be thrown away.
7. This sticky material helps us see if our instrument packs have been run through an autoclave and reached a certain temperature (It is not the packing kind).
8. This sticky material comes in 1,000 to a roll and the clear is much easier to remove than the blue.
9. A machine used to sterilize instruments with steam under pressure method.
10. The perfect PPE item used to cover our faces (not the one you use on the tennis court).
11. This type of disinfectant was so wonderful when it broke from spray bottle to wipes.
13. Abbreviation for personal protective equipment.
15. Abbreviation for environmental protection agency.
16. This type of book holds all of the fact sheets that come with products for quick reference if exposure occurs (abbreviation).
19. Abbreviation for Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). Handwashing in the Healthcare setting. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/
Wilkins, EM. (2013). Clinical practice of the dental hygienist(11th ed). Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
ANSWERS ACROSS: 1. biohazardwaste 3. asepsis 5. ultrasonic 6. contamination 12. once 14. glutaraldehyde 17. sharpscontainer 18. hemostat 20. sterilization
ANSWERS DOWN: 2. infectioncontrol 4. disposable 7. indicatortape 8. barrierfilm 9. autoclave 10. visor 11. caviwipes 13. ppe 15. epa 16. msds 9. osha
Past RDH Issues