A Peer-Reviewed Publication Written by Sherri M. Lukes, RDH, MS, FAADH
Cultural competence is a vast topic of great importance to the field of dentistry. In an increasingly diverse society, it is necessary for dental professionals to be culturally competent healthcare providers. A dynamic process, attaining cultural competence includes awareness and understanding of the many factors that influence culture and how that awareness translates into providing dental services within clients' cultural parameters. Multiple resources are available for dental professionals to become culturally competent healthcare providers, ensuring delivery of the best possible care for all clients.
At the conclusion of this educational activity participants will be able to:
1. Describe key trends in the demographics of culturally diverse populations
2. Discuss the evolution of cultural competence in health care and dentistry
3. Define cultural competence terms and ideas about health and wellness
4. Describe communication issues associated with working with diverse populations
5. Explain oral practices and oral health disparities of diverse populations
To view this entire course, click here.